You get two shows this week!
Our composer guest is Eric Goetz, who’s written music for interactive audio books. He composed for Random House’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which was one of the first of such books made for iPad. We also spoke about his piece Planetary Theme and Variations, which was premiered at Seattle’s Benaroya Hall, performed by the Northwest Sinfonia.
Our patron of the week is Simon Schmidt, from Hamburg, Germany. He sent us five choices, and we spoke about the first two:
1. “Order” from Lords of Magic by Keith Zizza (can’t find on YouTube)
2. “Intro” from Secret of Mana by Hiroki Kikuta
3. “Puerto Pollo” from Monkey Island 3 by Michael Land
4. “House Harkonnen” from Emperor: Battle for Dune by David Arkenstone
5. Music from The Banner Saga by Austin Wintory
Additionally, we include a preview of the “Maestros of Video Games” panel I moderated at PAX East in Boston on April 23rd. The composers on the panel were Jason Hayes (World of Warcraft, Warcraft III, Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void), Tom Salta (Halo: Spartan Strike, Halo: Spartan Assault, Prince of Persia, Killer Instinct), Mikolai Stronski (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Witcher III), Gareth Coker (Ori and the Blind Forest, Minecraft: Greek Mythology) and Daniel James (Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain).
The panel was a ton of fun, the audience was giant, and we had a great time!